Saturday, July 22, 2006

Gammal Mormor Brita














This is the spinning wheel that my great grandmother brought over on the boat from Stöde, Sweden in 1903. She was given this for her 12th birthday in 1894. The flax distaff was lost years and years ago. The little black bag that had extra spools and such in it was unfortunately lost in our house fire along with her carders and Union rug loom.
I hope to take up spinning in the Fall. I remember as a little girl asking if she could make me a dress with it. She had a good chuckle about that.
When my mother was a newlywed and had this displayed in her living room my great grandmother was totally mystified as to why. To her this was a tool and seeing it as decorative was like hanging a mop on the wall. She must have had fond feelings for it though because she kept it all those years.

No comments: