Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Queen of the Unfinished Projects
















Started yet another project. I like this CPY Merino yarn so much I bought more. Sheesh, I am addicted. Anyway, I used Merino Stripe-Meadow Violet and Merino Frappe-Charcoal. I like the way this turned out and want to play with a bunch of different color combinations in the future. I'm trying to jump start myself this morning with lots of coffee in my new mug purchased at the Nordic Heritage Museum gift shop. Blue is my favorite color and it has mini Dala horses on it. What more could one ask for !

A second cousin of mine in Sweden works for a logging/paper products company in Växjö. He said he'd like some logging pictures for his office of his great uncles who migrated here and worked as loggers. I've been trying to dig thru boxes looking for some. Here is my morfar in a picture called "The Human Fly" He was a high rigger. I never met him as he died in 1943. I'm afraid of heights so I don't take after him !

He grew up in extreme poverty in Värmland. There were eight kids and the parents in a two room cabin. The second room was for storage. They had no horses and had to walk everywhere. They had oatmeal for breakfast and dinner, potatoes and dried salt herring for lunc everyday. If the cow was giving milk they had that on their porridge. He, his brothers, and father would walk to Sundsvall to work in a large sawmill for some months during the year. That is 380 miles one way ! In later years they would take the train.
Morfar came here to find a better life and he did. I have the contract from the Liner company to get him to Bellingham. It was $100 in 1910 for the ship and train trip. I found you can search on the Ellis Island website for passenger lists and pictures of the boats they came on. That was very interesting.

No comments: