Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Fiber Heaven


Last weekend I went to a three day workshop on Spinning for Aran, Gansey, and Fair Isle taught by Carol Huebscher Rhoades. I loved it ! It was my first such one so I was rather nervous about my lack of experience. It was a pretty relaxed atmosphere so nothing to worry about. I loved hearing all about the traditions, histories, breeds of sheep, and techniques. Some of the lovely samples knit from her handspun.
















Carol also handed out wonderful fiber samples which had me drooling. As one of my classmates said it makes you want to jump into a swimming pool full of wool - without the water of course !

The dark is UK BFL and the white US. Heavenly soft.



4 samples of Shetland. Other sample fleeces included Cheviot, Scottish Mule, Galway, and primitive Shetland.

This was held out in Preston at Suzanne Pedersen's house which is lovely and she provided such lovely meals and refreshments. Wish I had taken pictures of her home and garden.

The Latvian Exhibit is ending this Sunday. I've seen it four times and will be seeing it again this weekend ! I was given permission to take pictures which I'll try and post a few at a time. These textiles are stunning.







I can't describe how much joy these forms of textile "art" bring me no matter the country. The beauty, love, and care that seems to come to the surface when I look upon them and think of the generations that went before amazes me.

No comments: